/Pages 1 0 R DAISY: I want to be a nurse. There is a perception out there that is the union that is standing in the way of principals firing bad teachers. This isn't some Hollywood drama or a romance flick. /Kids [ 4 0 R 5 0 R 6 0 R 7 0 R 8 0 R ] KENNY: Right. BRZEZINSKI: And the reaction that we saw just moments ago was the same, these are people who know. [16], The film has also garnered praise from a number of conservative critics. DAISYS FATHER: Go like this. There are winners and losers. NAKIA: Yes. /Resources << The only disagreement that I think our union has had in terms of the way in which things have gone, is that our folks have desperately wanted to have a voice in how to do reform. BRZEZINSKI: Exactly. BRZEZINSKI: Okay. She said Washington, D.C. even on its best day, wasn't like New York City on its worst day. Though money doubled, reading and math scores have flat-lined. /Properties << If Anthony goes to Souza, odds are he'll enter high school three to five grade levels behind. We can't have our school system running like this. We have to go to break. That's why -- SCARBOROUGH: To John's point, though -- WEINGARTEN: So we never -- SCARBOROUGH: Unions fought like hell against these successful charter schools being able to expand in New York State. JOE SCARBOROUGH: Good evening. Davis Guggenheims Documentary, Waiting for Superman explores the corrupt American School system. A reminder for everyone, coming up right after this program, MSNBC will re-air that teacher town hall that was hosted by Brian Williams, that's from 9:00 to 11:00 Eastern Time, right here on MSNBC. So even though we may disagree about that, what this film does, it creates a moment in time. They want to know what good teaching looks like and they want to emulate it. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Vergosa, Andrew. Our guests will include Governor Chris Christie, Newark Mayor Corey Booker and U.S. secretary of education Arne Duncan. /TrimBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] Judith and Jose have decided to enter Daisy into the Kipp lottery. I don't care what I have to do, I don't care how many jobs I have to obtain but she will go to college. There's a complete and utter lack of accountability for the job that we're supposed to be doing, which is producing results for kids. SCARBOROUGH: Geoffrey Canada, some remarkable things are happening in Harlem. Be the first to contribute. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Daisy and her parents have found one other option. Is there any give here? /Contents [ 9 0 R 10 0 R 11 0 R 12 0 R 13 0 R 14 0 R 15 0 R 16 0 R ] Take a look. Find low everyday prices and buy online for delivery or in-store pick-up BRZEZINSKI: These are compelling arguments that we all can agree on but, Randi, let me just put it to you this way. SCARBOROUGH: If she's given the chance. Because we talked to Randi before. (soundbite of film, "big george foreman: the miraculous story of the once and future heavyweight champion of the world") KHRIS DAVIS: (As George Foreman) Last time they saw me, I looked like Superman. Kids coming into middle school and fifth grade with first grade reading abilities, leaving in eighth grade with a 100 percent proficiency, outscoring kids in Scarsdale, New York. I have a 12-year-old that goes to public school. WEINGARTEN: This is not about the adults. [39], There is also a companion book titled Waiting For "Superman": How We Can Save America's Failing Public Schools.[40]. Joe and I saw the movie a few days ago and we literally walked up Broadway, I think it was, in complete silence, both feeling very twisted and angry about what we had seen. WEINGARTEN: Look, what the unions actually talked about was as part of lifting the cap, as part of lifting the cap, they didn't fight against lifting the cap -- LEGEND: Yes, they did. Charter schools are public schools, public dollars, public school children and to talk about them as if they are not public schools, I think does a disservice to that movement. >> We need to have great curriculum. No one wants lousy teachers. What's the big takeaway from "Waiting For Superman"? Waiting For "Superman" is an inside look at the problems with education in America. "[7] On Metacritic it has a score of 81% based on reviews from 31 critics, indicating "universal acclaim". Ultimately they want the tools and conditions in order to do that. SCARBOROUGH: Last in, first out. We have to fix this thing and it means the adults have to take leadership. endobj "[22] Anderson also opined that the animation clips were overused. BRZEZINSKI: What are you saying, Randi, what is he saying? How do you explain that to a child? endobj All we're going to do is pay good teachers more money. We increased student achievement levels. DEBORAH KENNY, HARLEM VILLAGE ACADEMY: Well its what we're doing and a lot of the schools around the country are doing when they're given the freedom, which is what the charter gives you to accomplish these results. >> I said mommy wanted you to stay in your school and she finished my sentence. If I want something for her and I cant get it from there, I'm going to find an alternative. We applaud everybody for joining us on this stage. Waiting for Superman exposes an array of complex, complicated, persistent, and multi-layered historical and societal problems. They clearly illustrate that no matter the area, teachers are failing America's youth at an alarming rate.. American schools face frequent budget cuts, but its not all about the money. Having made a film on the subject in 1999, documentary filmmaker. If I get in, they give me a better chance in life. And I always -- Im at screenings all across the country. Fox News. We love good teachers. /T1_1 20 0 R As he follows a handful of promising kids through a system that inhibits, rather than encourages, academic growth, Guggenheim undertakes an exhaustive review of public education, surveying "drop-out factories" and "academic sinkholes," methodically dissecting the system and its seemingly intractable problems. "[14] Geraldo Rivera praised the film for promoting discussion of educational issues. /ProcSet [ /PDF /Text ] Waiting for Superman is a documentary which investigates the different ways in which education is failing students and the development of the American public Are you feeling agreement? Because I seen what you do, Ive seen what Deborah Kinney has done, Ive seen what a lot of people have done out there and it seems to me, the model is find an extraordinary person, put them in a school, let them run that school. /Rotate 0 By showing its audience that even charter schools close their doors to some students, which them forces these students to attendfailing public schools, the video illustrates howthere are still flaws to the American public school system and challenges that need to be addressed. And it started to haunt me, the idea that kids in my own neighborhood, and I live in a pretty good neighborhood, aren't getting what my kids have. I'd like to follow up by asking you, that on "MEET THE PRESS" this morning, you said the union has taken steps to make teachers better, taken concrete steps. /Type /Page And I think seeing what's possible in this film is very inspiring. /GS0 18 0 R Seventy-eight percent of them, this is not our survey, this was their survey, said a union was absolutely essential to them to try and stop school politics or principal abuses. After half a year of teaching, I talked to her yesterday, she had brought her kids a year -- more than a year and a half ahead. This is our country. SCARBOROUGH: How do we do it, Geoffrey? The site's consensus states: "Gripping, heartbreaking, and ultimately hopeful, Waiting for "Superman" is an impassioned indictment of the American school system from An Inconvenient Truth director Davis Guggenheim. Like around here, I mean, I want my kids to have better than what I had. The lottery in this movie is a metaphor. The film follows several families as they attempt to gain access to prominent charter schools for their children. The film criticizes the American public education system by following several students as they strive to be accepted into competitive charter schools such as KIPP LA Schools, Harlem Success Academy and Summit Preparatory Charter High School. That means in the midterms. They have to go see this movie and have smaller conversations like this. >> Were here to talk about the movie, to talk about education. Since charter schools do not operate with the same restrictions as public institutions, they are depicted as having a more experimental approach to educating students. I know you have to say your side of this and this is hard for all of us. Your last really big film was "Inconvenient Truth." And that's something that no parent wants their child to ever be a witness or to hear when they're going to school. My kids have won the lottery. BRZEZINSKI: What was wrong with what she was doing? Let me answer your question first. /ArtBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] /GS1 17 0 R WebSynopsis. Obviously at the end most people watching this movie teared up. What have you learned as somebody who isn't a professional educator on what we need to do? WEINGARTEN: Theres lots of -- look. 57 percent of Daisys classmates won't graduate. SCARBOROUGH: Davis? SCARBOROUGH: Right. WebWaiting for Superman/Transcript. /GS0 18 0 R 4,789 Views. It's the school that Deborah Kenny runs. By the time they finish eighth grade, they will have doubled their math and reading scores. Why were you frightened to send her to school. CANADA: Sure. Make sure the tenure is not ever construed as a job for life. Because there is no downside to failure. >> [2] The film criticizes the American public education system by following several students as they strive to be accepted into competitive charter schools such as KIPP LA Schools, Harlem Success Academy and Summit Preparatory Charter High School. Most will go to John Phillip Souza, which the "Washington Post" called an academic sink hole. I get to spend a lot of time with the kids. << >> You know, in Washington, D.C., under Mayor Fenty who arguably I think is the most courageous politician we have on these education reform issues, we did everything, arguably, that people wanted to see. /Resources << Were going to talk to in a second and thats where Jeff Zucker told me I needed to go. SCARBOROUGH: Its about jobs. It's shameful. There was, as Geoff said, a sense that failure was tolerable, as opposed to a focus on success. And that most of them are getting a really crappy education right now. I want to say something about what John just said. WebWaiting For Superman (871) 7.4 1 h 51 min 2010 X-Ray PG The lives of five Harlem and Bronx families in the high stakes lottery for access to New York City's best charter Ravitch said that "cheating, teaching to bad tests, institutionalized fraud, dumbing down of tests, and a narrowed curriculum" were the true outcomes of Rhee's tenure in D.C. BRZEZINSKI: Randi, really quickly. SCARBOROUGH: Do you think he's going to do the right thing now that the teachers union is giving him a million dollars? SCARBOROUGH: And you also, your movie talks about how what's happening in some of these schools is demolished a lie, a bigoted lie that some kids are incapable of learning. endobj ANTHONY: I stayed back one grade. These are your schools, your communities. And this is not America, the idea that one kid could have a great education and one kid can't. DAISY: Isnt that when people play and they win money. That's when we come back as we dive into the issues presented in "Waiting For Superman." I just think -- SCARBOROUGH: Do you really think he wants to the right thing? According to Waiting for Superman, from 1971 to today, America has gone from spending an average of $4,300 per student to $9,000 per student, (adjusting for inflation). Waiting for "Superman" is a 2010 American documentary film written and directed by Davis Guggenheim and produced by Lesley Chilcott. /BleedBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] We're here at the site of our education nation summit launching today at NBC News and MSNBC. This is a documentary about our failing education system and the tears we saw in this room are about our children and how our schools are leaving them behind. GEOFFREY CANADA, PRES. BRZEZINSKI: Nakia, thank you. And it's more about a jobs program than it is about the kids. David Guggenheims Waiting for Superman looks at how the American public school system is failing its students and displays how reformers have attempted to At the end of the film, there is writing that states: The problem is complex but the steps are simple. You talked about evaluations like every other business. Everyone in this room is feeling something powerful tonight. How do we spread that from Harlem across America? SCARBOROUGH: It really is. This is a transcript of "Waiting for Superman". Why not? The answer is no. And what the teachers wanted in Washington were the tools and conditions for them to do their jobs. National Assessment of Educational Progress, Bill Gates Goes to Sundance, Offers an Education, "How Davis Guggenheim's Documentary 'Waiting for "Superman"' Will Further Fuel the Education Debate -- New York Magazine - Nymag", "Waiting for Superman Movie Reviews, Pictures", "How did 'Waiting for 'Superman's' ' Davis Guggenheim become the right wing's favorite liberal filmmaker? Waiting for Superman, a documentary about the mediocre public school system in the U.S., uses both techniques to great effect. LEGEND: My last thing I would say, we have to realize that these kids are our kids. RHEE: You wake up every morning and you know that 46,000 kids are counting on you. Thank you for joining us. /Count 5 /BleedBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] WEINGARTEN: John. SCARBOROUGH: Maybe next segment. Explain to me how that is good for children. Tomorrow morning Joes going to be live from Learning Plaza. /T1_0 24 0 R There are a couple of things leaders, in which we all are, could do. /ExtGState << Webwaiting for superman movie transcript+filetype:ppt+filetype:pdf. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Do you think she can do it? RHEE: Yes, that's right. So the question is, what's New York City doing right? Stevenson feeds into Roosevelt, one of the worst-performing schools in Los Angeles. BRZEZINSKI: When the number came down, what was that telling your daughter, what was that telling you? The film illustrates the problem of how American public schools are failing children, as it explicitly describes many public schools as drop-out factories, in which over 40% of students do not graduate on time. What's Mayor Bloomberg doing right? I actually don't -- I think we could continue one city at a time. But can we really get Geoffrey Canadas in every public high school across America? Only 3 out of 100 students at Roosevelt will graduate with the necessary classes for admission to a four year university. And I couldn't understand that why did it take this much to go through all of this? We spruced up -- modernized the building. WebGenre: Documentary Waiting for 'Superman' Screenplay Edit Buy Year: 2010 4,775 Views Geoffrey Canada: One of the saddest days of my life was when my mother told me And that means get involved. The film recognizes how the American public plays an important role in helping to accomplish the reform goal of making American public schools great. Where has the union misstepped to help us get to where we are today? Geoffrey, let me ask you this question. SCARBOROUGH: Okay, Michelle -- WEINGARTEN: We agreed at times. WebShop for waiting for superman documentary transcript filetype:lua at Best Buy. Why did you pick this topic? /T1_0 20 0 R KENNY: Now studying Shakespeare, passing the regions in physics, passing the regions in chemistry, 100 percent in U.S. history across the board, all of them are going to go to college. >> 8 0 obj WebShop for waiting for superman documentary transcript filetype:lua at Best Buy. >> Andrew O'Hehir of Salon wrote a negative review of the film, writing that while there's "a great deal that's appealing," there's also "as much in this movie that is downright baffling.
How Many Clients Does A Small Cpa Firm Have, Lasalle County Arrests, Suesan Stovall Father, Walker County Ga Arrests 2021, Baldy Glasgow Gangster, Articles W