The gist of Psalm 23 is that God is our shepherd who always provides and protects. And yet through it all he could look back and write 'the Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want'. d. For You are with me: This emphasizes that it is the presence of the shepherd that eliminated the fear of evil for the sheep. This is a great shame because it is not a psalm of death! But we need to learn to lie down. The Analogy of God and the Shepherd in Psalm 23, The Lord As A Shepherd Who Provides (Verse 1), The Lord As A Shepherd Who Guides (Verses 2-3), The Protection And Comfort From Gods Presence (Verse 4), The Blessings of God Amidst Danger (Verse 5), Faith-Filled Content Delivered To Your Inbox, Best NASB Study Bibles Ranked & Reviewed, The Best Bible for Young Adults: Buyers Guide. These twin guardian angels will always be with me at my back and my beck. The MacArthur Bible Commentary treats every passage of the Old and New Testaments phrase by phrase, with hundreds of word studies and sidebars throughout. Our God does not withhold anything good from His flock. The World English Bible is based on the American Standard Version (ASV) of the Bible, the Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensa Old Testament, and the Greek Majority Text New Testament. We may request cookies to be set on your device. Death is not the house but the porch, not the goal but the passage to it Many a saint has reaped more joy and knowledge when he came to die than he ever knew while he lived. He is a great shepherd. I shall not want can translate to I have no lack. Pastor and teacher John MacArthur covers the complete Bibleevery passage of the Old and New . Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. Psalm 23:4 Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Gods presence enables David to feast in perfect security. and flame will not scorch you. The noteworthiness of Psalm 23 was not lost on Spurgeon. It is 'The LORD' who is his shepherd! Psalm 23:4 I will fear no evil, for you are with me, There is a switch here from 'He' to 'You'. But, it does entitle David to experience Gods provision and providence in their midst. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. The Whole Bible All the days of my life; Pauline Epistles John Piper Sep 8, 1980 What He is leading, guiding and teaching us is firstly about the inward change to the circumstance even if outwardly things remain the same. Cookie Notice: (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1979-1988), Brown, Francis; Driver, S.R. If you are truly saved He will never leave you all the days of your life! Everyone loves this Psalm. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, (Hebrew/Greek Search by English Definition), * 'Number Delimiters' only apply to 'Paragraph Order', Search verses, phrases, and topics (e.g. (23) Seller Location . Fortunately, I had insurance that would allow my family to weather the storm financially. Psalm 23:6 And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Please visit: https://www.bestbiblecommentaries.comPlease visit: www.bestbiblecommentaries.comBrowse John MacArthur's bible commentaries on Amazon:https://am. They have been comforted, strengthened, and warmed by the thought that the LORD would shepherd them through the valley of the shadow of death. Lie down in green pastures quiet waters - But thank Jesus our great Shepherd that He does bring us to green pastures and quiet waters. That was his role growing up. Giving without a Whisper by C. H. Spurgeon, Know, Known, Knowledge, Unknown - Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, David Guzik :: Hechos 9 La Conversin de Saulo de Tarso, David Guzik :: Mateo 4 La Tentacin de Jess y Su Primer Ministerio en Galilea, David Guzik :: Hechos 2 El Espritu Santo Es Derramado Sobre la Iglesia, David Guzik :: Apocalipsis 20 Satans, el Pecado y la Muerte son Finalmente Eliminados, David Guzik :: 2 Timoteo 3 Los Tiempos Peligrosos y la Preciosa Verdad, David Guzik :: Apocalipsis 12 La Mujer, el Nio, y el Dragn, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jesus and the Holy Trinity (Walter Martin), Matthew 18-19 (1982-85 Audio) (Chuck Smith), Genesis 1:1-8 (1979-82 Audio) (Chuck Smith), John 12 - Sir, We Would See Jesus (Chuck Missler), Genesis 2-3 (1979-82 Audio) (Chuck Smith). The shepherds staff was the familiar long rod with a crook on one end. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. He was the son of Jesse and a direct descendant of Abraham. We need to hear those words as if God intended them for usbecause he did. It has poured balm and consolation into the heart of the sick, of captives in dungeons, of widows in their pinching grief's, of orphans in their loneliness. In Psalms 23:3, Psalms 23:4 the spiritual meaning shines through the figure, as in Psalms 23:5, Psalms 23:6 it is laid aside altogether; yet still the psalmist speaks of the "rod and staff." "Rod," the shepherd's crook, the received emblem of authority, guidance, and discipline. But, what makes it so compelling? The Old Testament The New Testament He who turns the ebb into the flood can soon restore our soul. Prophets The following cookies are also needed - You can choose if you want to allow them: You can read about our cookies and privacy settings in detail on our Privacy Policy Page. He will never, ever, leave you! When the end of the Babylonian Exile and Israels salvation was nigh, God told Israel: Dont be afraid, for I have redeemed you. We might say that the shepherds presence did not eliminate the presence of evil, but certainly the fear of evil. '. If there is a wire fence, they'll get caught in it. In this context, it suggests blessings that will help the psalmist. So many people place their trust and hope is all sorts of things. He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. [1] It is a Psalm that encompasses our live here and even extends into eternity future. Maybe this verse should have read 'though I close my eyes and sprint through the valley of the shadow of death' This verse speaks to us of the trying times in our lives where there is darkness, confusion and fear. The word restore implies the notion of a rescued one. Do you? His anointing set him apart for his unique role as prophet, priest, and king. Click to enable/disable _gid - Google Analytics Cookie. In my experience I have never seen a visible manifestation of God going before me at a fork in the road. This is the joy of the Christian! Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: The hosts care brought the goodness and mercy of God to David, and he lived in the faithful expectation of it continuing all the days of his life. c. I will fear no evil: Despite every dark association with the idea of the valley of the shadow of death, David could resolutely say this because he was under the care of the LORD his shepherd. The MacArthur New Testament Commentary is now completethirty-three volumes that take you through the whole New Testament, detail by detail, verse by verse. In New Zealand (where I live) all of our farms and fields seem to be 'green pastures' and the sheep tend to munch all day! The world is now experiencing a dreadful pandemic. c. You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over: Despite the dangers about and the presence of enemies, David enjoyed the richness of his hosts goodness. General Epistles Title The entire collection of Psalms is entitled "Praises" in the Hebrew text. A sheep is an object of property, not a wild animal; its owner sets great store by it, and frequently it is bought with a great price. Notice however that the Psalmist says he 'walks through' this valley. Sometimes those paths lead straight through the valley of the shadow of death. Rev 21:3-4, 'Forever' is a long time, but this infinitely creative God will never fail to amaze us. I will believe that thou reignest still. God longs to bless and prosper His people. SCRIPTURE QUOTATIONS are from the World English Bible (WEB), a public domain (no copyright) modern English translation of the Holy Bible. Will He never leave me or will something I do cause Him to leave?' John and his wife, Patricia, live in Southern California and have four married children: Matt, Marcy, Mark, and Melinda. He talks about going through it, showing that he expects to emerge from its shadows into the light on the other side. It implies that the Lord is the only thing needed in life and that Gods shepherding care provides all of our necessities. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death (v. 4a). Title: The MacArthur Bible Commentary By: John MacArthur Format: Hardcover Number of Pages: 2040 Vendor: Thomas Nelson Publication Date: 2005 Dimensions: 9.75 X 6.75 X 2.75 (inches) Weight: 3 pounds 11 ounces ISBN: 0785250662 ISBN-13: 9780785250661 Stock No: WW250662 Related Products The Jesus You Can't Ignore: Study $7.49 $9.99 Save 25% People need to know this beautiful Psalm of David to reorient and renew their thinking. They can't run all that fast, don't have the greatest eye sight apparently and, being basically defenceless, are timid and fearful. Forgiveness -- for He restores my soul. General Epistles But he also knew something else. The Premiere One-Volume Commentary . In terms of how it is loved, look at how one old theologian from the 1800's spoke of it. [9] As Jesus Himself said, 'You are the light of the world. We understand that a shadow is not tangible but is cast by something that is. When we get tired we take a rest. In describing the Lord as a shepherd, David wrote out of his own experience because he had spent his early years caring for sheep. If we were without enemies, we might fear that we were not the friends of God, for the friendship of the world is enmity to GodThou preparest a table Nothing is hurried, there is no confusion, no disturbance, the enemy is at the door, and yet God prepares a table, and the Christian sits down and eats as if everything were in perfect peace. David knew the uniqueness and intimacy of this metaphor. Not will be, like you look forward to something He will do but IS - present tense. It becomes more personal in this valley! Psalm 23 Many of David's psalms are full of complaints, but this is full of comforts, and the expressions of delight in God's great goodness and dependence upon him. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And David knew that this would carry on all the days of his life. 'What happened exactly to me in the dream?' What would you say of a pilgrim commissioned of God to travel up and down the earth singing a strange melody, which, when one heard, caused him to forget whatever sorrow he had? Site by Mere. This is the condition of Gods servant always conflict, but always a spread table. (Maclaren), ii. So here is a man who has had to depend upon His Shepherd and is finding Him faithful even in trying times. It means to actively pursue, to chase, and normally in a negative sense as when Pharaoh chased Israel at the exodus. They will lead us to places of rest and provision. It has remanded to their dungeon more felon thoughts, more black doubts, more thieving sorrows, than there are sands on the sea-shore. So I wrote back and said I had done a thorough check and all was well. Passwords should have at least 6 characters. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. I. Poetical Books Kings were anointed (1 Samuel 10:1; 16:3, 12-13; 2 Samuel 23:1; 1 Kings 1:39). Most importantly, I understood that God is with us in life and in deathand so I can truly say that I was not frightened. In the ancient Near East, the shepherd was a royal metaphor. He would tend, protect and care for his sheep. The enemy was strongly entrenched there, and was determined to stay. In Psalm 23, God has answered this prayer God has led him in paths of righteousness. ), The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, 6 vol. Nothing is hurried, there is no confusion, no disturbance, the enemy is at the door and yet God prepares a table, and the Christian sits down and eats as if everything were in perfect peace. (Spurgeon). He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters., God as a shepherd knows where to lead His flock to rest. Pastor John MacArthur | The MacArthur Commentaries Grace to You. See the happiness of the saints as the sheep of God's pasture. Thank God for such times! b. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death: This line from the psalm and the psalm as a whole has proven itself precious to many a dying saint through the ages. The concept dates back to the Book of Genesis when Jacob referred to the LORD as the Shepherd and the Rock of Israel (Genesis 49:24). Date: 1/31/2021. Liberated for Life : Galatians - a Bible Commentary for Laymen by John F. MacArthur and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.com. i. Minor Prophets Would you prayerfully consider a gift of support today? can be seen as comforting for it is a sign that He loves us scripture says (Heb 12:6). My cup runs over. Ouch. John Piper Sep 1, 1980. a. That was all it said. In Psalm 22 Christ is the Saviour; in Psalm 23 He is the Satisfier; in Psalm 24 He is the Sovereign. He wrote: Unlike in the west where people get multiple jobs, here the jobs are very rare. Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer. There was no fear involved. [10] We have another source of confidence in our shepherd Jesus that even David didn't have when he wrote this psalm 3000 years ago. It adorns walls in faithful churches and fills frames in Christian homes. For them, it truly was the valley of the shadow of death. His past death for His people The idea is of a sturdy walking stick, used to gently (as much as possible) guide the sheep and protect them from potential predators. A verification email has been sent to the address you provided. [7], 5001 North Oak Trafficway Changes will take effect once you reload the page. It may portray the straying sheep brought back. Psalm 23 - Sermon On the Lord is My Shepherd - Study and Obey That is what God desires to work into your life. The analogy of a king as a shepherd is common in ancient times and is not unusual. But there is a greater provision and far greater blessing still to come. May God grant us grace to dwell in the serene atmosphere of this most blessed Psalm! ii. It has comforted the noble host of the poor. 1.Jehovah is my shepherd. God's Testimony to the Scriptures. Regardless of destitution, famine, storms, and other uncertainties, Gods flock is well-provided for in all seasons. The New Testament speaks of Jesus as anointed (Luke 4:18; John 20:31; Acts 5:42; Hebrews 1:9, etc.). Click to enable/disable Google reCaptcha. It is to live with Him. (Kidner), ii. The wonderful discovery is that the Lord is not just a shepherd who looks after the entire flock, but He is cares for me as well. Luke-Acts Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. This verse doesn't mean that there will not be times of drought, valleys, difficulties and need--- far from it God loves you too much to just make things always easy! It has sung courage to the army of the disappointed. Almost 25 years ago, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. Each chapter begins with several questions under the title "PREPARE TO MEET GOD." . It's not for the goats. He is not just a 'good shepherd'. This psalm is so personal, with the pronoun I or My, being used commonly. David reflected on God's many blessings to him and concluded that God would continue to be faithful to him and grant him fellowship in the future. It could also refer to a piece of furniture like the tables that we know today. There is something about people who truly know their God. And, then, it is not the valley of death, but the valley of the shadow of death, for death in its substance has been removed, and only the shadow of it remains Nobody is afraid of a shadow, for a shadow cannot stop a mans pathway even for a moment. There are few experiences in life that would be more satisfying. But whether our fears are irrational or based on very real circumstances, our need to remember the Lord is the same. Psalm 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. And it is in these times that it starts getting a lot more personal! These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our website and to use some of its features. The shadow of a dog cannot bite; the shadow of a sword cannot kill; the shadow of death cannot destroy us. Sheep are easy targets for parasites, lice, and flies. That seldom accomplishes His purposes and the rest of the Psalm show that these things do occur. The shepherds guidance not only comforted and restored David but also led His sheep to righteousness. David gives a beautiful picture: table suggests bounty; prepare suggests foresight and care; before me suggests the personal connection. Prophets Is it a terrible thing that even though God is sovereign and controls the entire universe, we don't want to let go of the reigns! No, press on knowing that if there are shadows, there must be light around the corner causing them! Blue Letter Bible study tools make reading, searching and studying the Bible easy and rewarding. In Psalm 22 He dies; in Psalm 23 He is living; in Psalm 24 He is coming. He is that interested in each of His sheep! Psalm 19. Everyone knows this psalm even non-Christians have heard it because it seems to be a favourite at their funerals. Readers benefit from the coherence a single commentator provides, finding faithful, understandable, and . 4 (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1996), Waltner, James H., Believers Church Bible Commentary: Psalms (Scottdale, Pennsylvania: Herald Press, 2006, Baker, Warren (ed. Most scholars account this Psalm to Davids maturity that contains vivid reminiscence of his youth as a shepherd. But it is alluded to such as in Revelation 7:17 For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water." My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.' The comforts of a living saint. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Use semicolons to separate groups: 'Gen;Jdg;Psa-Mal' or 'Rom 3-12;Mat 1:15;Mat 5:12-22', There are options set in 'Advanced Options', The Whole Bible When people die, we think of them as having entered the valley of the shadow of death, but the same is true for their loved ones. iv. (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2006-2009), VanGemeren, Willem A. A number of our soldiers died there. Commentaries; Sermons. Error: Passwords should have at least 6 characters, Error: Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. Many people succumb to their hopelessness and fear. A poor man may say this as well as those in higher circumstances, What, all this, and Jesus Christ too?[6]. ), which the WEB has updated. Luke-Acts Pauline Epistles The sheep would experience excruciating pain that they would bash their heads against trees and rocks for relief. Verse 4 has a dark tone that embodies the possibility of traversing through the valley of death even in the presence of the shepherd. 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. We seek more of God and depend on Him further when we encounter problems. The shepherds rod was a sturdy club for use against wild animals that would otherwise prey on the sheep. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned, What are these green pastures but the Scriptures of truthalways fresh, always rich, and never exhausted? The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.. To walk indicates the steady advance of a soul which knows its road, knows its end, resolves to follow the path, feels quite safe, and is therefore perfectly calm and composed Observe that it is not walking in the valley, but through the valley. It has remanded to their dungeon more felon thoughts, more black doubts, more thieving sorrows, than there are sands on the sea-shore. The Gospels Sure enough, someone guessed pretty quickly that it would be Psalm 23. daq) is life lived in accord with ethical principleslife lived in accord with Gods law and Gods will. A servant abideth not in the house for ever, but the son abideth ever. While I am here I will be a child at home with my God; the whole world shall be his house to me; and when I ascend into the upper chamber, I shall not change my company, nor even change the house; I shall only go to dwell in the upper story of the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. The MacArthur Bible Commentary. Pastor John MacArthur | The MacArthur Commentaries Grace to You. Sounds like a nice place to be for a defenceless sheep now doesn't it? So for now, let us follow our Lord where He would lead. They know that it will be ok. I had good medical care. Minor Prophets He lived in the confident hope that it would continue for the rest of his life. It helped him even in the valley of the shadow of death to know that God guided him, even through correction. Do you have the confidence to say that the almighty God IS your Shepherd right now? It is a song of gratitude that resonates with the author's heart and trust in God. When applied to Yahweh, hesed is fundamentally the expression of his loyalty and devotion to the solemn promises attached to the covenant. To be invited to the Kings table was a great honor. When flies or parasites annoy them, its hard for them to be at rest. b) John MacArthur; MacArthur New Testament Commentary, Ephesians 5:18 - "Be filled" translates the present passive imperative of "pleroo", and is more literally rendered as "be being kept filled." We are "indwelt" by the Holy Spirit at the moment of justification (professing our faith in Christ). Poetical Books And I will dwell in the house of the LORDforever: The psalm ends with the calmest assurance that he would enjoy the presence of the LORD forever both in his days on this earth and beyond. Pastor John MacArthur. Can you say that about your life? It's not somewhere that you set up camp thinking that is all you will ever know. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point Do we feel that our spirituality is at its lowest ebb? 1939) is a Calvinist theologian, author, editor, and teacher. Minor Prophets What great confidence! We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored. Kidner notes: The rod (a cudgel worn at the belt) and staff (to walk with, and to round up the flock) were the shepherds weapon and implement: the former for defence (cf. I think if we could just grasp this first verse alone our hearts could then rest. 'Blessed be the day on which that Psalm was born! The Hebrew word for rod (shaybet) here seems to simply mean a stick with a variety of applications. In that culture, people considered a persons name to be more than a simple label to identify that person. So to be Gods guest is to be more than an acquaintance, invited for a day. This name is 'Yahweh', the sovereign, almighty, delivering God. People need comfort and encouragement. Kansas City, Missouri 64118, 2017 The Spurgeon Center and Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He had known feast. Forever. John MacArthur. Therefore, when the shepherd started heading off on another journey the sheep followed wherever he went! There are only 6 verses but these terms are used about 30 times! So our great Shepherd protects and provides for His sheep during their life on this earth. (Philip Keller). In the Old Testament, prophets were anointed (1 Kings 19:16). I started off by saying that I wanted to have a look at what is probably the most popular chapter in the entire Old Testament. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. On other days, she was on the other side. A shepherd would prepare a table for his sheep by scouting ahead to find good pastureland free from predators and poisonous plants. Let us stick close to Him and thank Him for His wonderful grace. There is a noble tone of confidence about this sentence. If you are truly one of His sheep (evidenced by hearing his voice and following His ways) then this verse is your verse as well! His passion is to serve the global Church and bring people of diverse backgrounds together to learn & grow. Some of the most obvious are: 1) the wisdom type with instructions for right living; 2) lamentation patterns which deal with the pangs of life (usually arising from enemies without); 3) penitential psalms (mostly dealing with the "enemy" within, i.e., sin); 4) kingship emphases (universal or mediatorial; theocratic and/or messianic rule); and 5)
Gray Television Political Leanings, What Does Let's Go Brandon Mean In Politics, Where Is The Taxonomy Code On A Cms 1500, Articles P